Vantage point




Saturday, April 26, 2003

I am sitting in a not-so-shady netcafe in Karol Bagh, Delhi right now. For the first few days, I have been given acco in a hotel here, until they find a place closer to Faridabad.

One thing that strikes you, and strikes you hard about North India is the intensity of the summer. Whenever I stepped out of the AC onto a railway station, it was like a sneak preview of how it feels to be a boiled egg. Every molecule around me seemed to be giving out copious quantities of heat and humidity. Gimme the mild summer in Mumbai anyday.

There are people who always end up sharing their compartments with hot babes during a train journey. I somehow, am not one of those. And to make things worse, I always seem to end up sitting close to a family with kids. These kids will also be gifted with industrial strength larynxes. This time, it was a Gujarati family with a 6 year old boy and a 2 year old girl. Their seemed to be an inter-sibling yelling contest on because they kept making efforts to shatter the window panes using their vocal chords. Did not succeed though.