Vantage point




Saturday, November 02, 2002

Diwali has started. I miss home, especially the special snacks (called faraaL) that my mom makes every year. And in this mood when I was missing home food, I went to the mess.

Had some extremely tasteless grub for lunch today. Today is one of those days I feel extra pissed off at the mess. The way we trudge in to eat and then trudge out, I am reminded of Tennyson's words (albeit a bit twisted) from "The Charge of the Light Brigade"


"Forward, the Bite Brigade!"
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Someone had blunder'd:
Their's not to make reply,
Their's not to reason why,
Their's but to eat and sigh
Into the mess of Tastelessness
Walked the five hundred.


This makes me feel even more homesick.
Thankfully, there are alternate sources of nourishment and so thither I head, when I feel particularly dismayed about the mess food, and that is what I did today. As I stood with the cup of capuccino and some good grub from the canteen, I thought of Tennyson some more, (again twisted), but this time "The Eagle"

He clasps the coffee-cup with crooked hands;
Close to the sun in lonely lands


Happy Diwali, all.