Vantage point




Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Pup vs Pace?

Last year, I was one of the first members of the Michael Clarke Fan Club. His approach to batting, his lusty hitting, and his wily bowling, all made for a brilliant young prospect.

However I have been made to re-think my estimation of 'Pup' after I saw the way he played out a couple of really good spells against Zaheer Khan. He survived them, but the manner in which he did, does not inspire as much confidence. He was undone by the awkward length, by the odd bounce, and the movement.

We have all seen that Clarke is a wonderful player of quality spin bowling. But can he also survive....nay, dominate quality fast bowling in test cricket?

Maybe he can, maybe he can not. I guess the Ashes will be an occasion to find out, because I dare say, England has one of the better pace attacks in the game today.