Vantage point




Monday, October 18, 2004

Bride and De-judice?

When I was a kid, I read two books that were squarely classified as "Chick Books". The first one was Little Women. I took up the book at my mother's recommendation when I was about 11, and I must say I quite enjoyed it.

The second Chick Book I read was Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Now this one I absolutely hated. The heroine, her family, the guys she has crushes on, everyone was so revolting. The world she lived in seemed so horrible.....Civil War America made so much more sense.... that I was able to finish it only after a huge effort.

So when i went to watch Gurinder Chaddha's Bride and Prejudice, I went in with rock bottom expectations. Which is probably why I didn't hate it as much as other bloggers did.

The movie, for all its flaws, is quite faithful to the book. In fact I quite like the way it has been adapted in the Indian scenario. Don't get me wrong, it's no Maqbool, but in general, the adaptation is quite accurate.

While Nadira Babbar's character is revolting, no one can deny that such groom-crazy mothers are present in India by the hordes. The craze of "phoren" is also there. The funda of a wannabe-yank-brownskin-bride-shopping-in-india, played by a guy who can stake a claim to being Gulshan Grover's long lost brother, is also very much true.

I found the movie passable, and not in the vicinity of being mentioned in the same breath as Bend it like Beckham. But I do think that everyone, led by the oh-so-reliable Shobha De are lambasting the movie a little too much. Are they ready to give Jane Austen the same treatment?