Vantage point




Saturday, November 16, 2002

Karups, the guy who did his summers with HSBC was made a pre-placement offer by them. A job in London, paying 50 thousand pounds and a lot of other goodies. This is how his summers interview had gone last year.

Q: So what do you know about banking?
Karups: I have no idea about banking.
Q: So why do you want to work in a bank? And why I-banking in HSBC?
Karups: I haven't decided yet. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. Can you people tell me something about I-nking?
The HSBC people explain to him what I-banking is all about
Q: So you want to work?
Karups: yeah, OK, I guess.

These people gave him the summers job and sent him to London. He worked there for 2 months, came back, did not take a single Finance elective in the 2nd year, and he gets a pre-placement offer.

It's as if HSBC is in love with him.