Vantage point




Wednesday, November 27, 2002

Just reminded of something funny that happened during my first few weeks at IIM. There is this girl who I found particularly funny to look at.

Most people who know me will tell you that my brain comes up with the weirdest metaphors and similes to describe people, and somehow this girl brought out the nastiest ones. Add to the fact that she walked and behaved as if Aishwarya Rai won the Miss World crown solely because this girl refused to participate in it.

While talking to a couple of close friends, here is a sample of the comments I made about her -

"Her face is like the top slice of a loaf of bread which is 7 days stale"

"If Marie Antoinette said 'let them eat cake' in response to the fact that the people don't have bread to eat, this girl is liable to say 'why don't they order pizza?'"

" If they paid her a paisa for every time she ran her hand through her hair, she would pay off the IIM tuition fees loan in 4 days flat."

"When she is 3 weeks pregnant, the number of brain cells in her body will be double the usual"

Well, the world is a weird place. Since most of the times while I made these comments my friends would laugh and presumably look at her while I avoided doing so, somehow her friends reached the conclusion that I have a crush on her, and a rumour to that effect started doing rounds.

ACkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!

To correct this impression, I stopped making those cracks forthwith. The 'rumours' stopped in a few days, and people moved on to a new guy to associate her with (I was not the first anyway). When there are 220 guys and 13 girls, it's easy to do that.

But my question is....

Is there no place in this world for pure unadulterated mean malicious wit anymore?