Vantage point




Wednesday, November 27, 2002

Sometimes we do things that seem like a great idea. Then we do them and we end up realising that they were stupid ideas after all.

Today I was browsing the institute network and chanced upon the setup of 'zone alarm' the personal firewall software I used to have back home. Enthusiastically I downloaded and installed it, only to discover later that -

1. It was unnecessary in the first place. Our entire hostel network has a great firewall of its own. (who would believe I am an Electronics and Telecommunications engineer? :( )
2. The only people accessing my computer were people from inside the insti wanting to download all the stuff I shared and I had to keep giving permission to access like a billion times in one hour.

Ergo, poof goes ZoneAlarm.