Vantage point




Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Finixed the Phoenix

Yup, finally finished reading the 5th book in the Harry Potter series, thanks to a virus that made me take to the bed for a while. Everybody and his mother have reviewed the book, so I will write just a few points about what I felt. On the whole, kinda like the 2003 Cricket World Cup....good, but not as good as expected. Rowling seems to have forgotten that people now know Harry and his friends almost as well as their own families, so she cant build up too much intrigue in this book like she did in say, Chamber of Secrets or Prisoner of Azkaban. Whatever keeps happening is something you expected. The whole "prophecy" bit is anti-climactic to say the least. In fact some things in the book are downright irritating.

Anyway, enough about the book per se. I want to talk about my favourite character of the lot. When I say favourite, I don't mean that I wish to emulate that character in real life or anything, but the character that is the most interesting. My vote would go to Professor Snape. In fact my complaint from every book is that we don't see enough of Snape. I wish they would explore his character in more detail, like they partly did in this book. But since the first book, I have been ultra-curious about him. Add to it the fact that in the movie, he is played by an absolutely brilliant actor, Alan Rickman. I first saw Rickman playing the terrorist in Die Hard and the sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood, and have been a fan of his acting ever since.

Anyway, coming back to Snape, what I like about him is the greyness in him. I do hope he has a larger part to play in subsequent books.