Vantage point




Tuesday, March 25, 2003

IDOLS, IDEALS AND INSPIRATIONS

We all have someone we idolise, try to emulate and draw inspiration from. Some have historic figures as their idols, some have celebrities.

While I admire big names a lot, somehow I have always found an aura of fiction surrounding them. I mean I just know one aspect of them...how can I think them to be ideal? Call it a big ego or cynicism, but I can't take one person's portrayal in the media or history books and call it an "ideal personality". For me a person has to be convincing to invoke that kind of respect. I have always looked at my parents as a source of inspiration. Remember the story of Lord Ganesha? However other than my parents, there are a few others I idolise.

My idols have been from real life (i.e mine). People whom I know very well, whom I have seen grow, evolve, change and yet...not change!

All three are good friends of mine. Just looking at their lives, their behaviour, their attitude, their decisions, their way of thinking... I feel inspired.

Till last year, I used to meet them very regularly, but since I have moved here, that does not happen much. I realise how much I miss their inspiring presence. I will not write about why these are my idols. Two of them read my blog, and I get a feeling they would feel bashful about it.

Thank you for enriching my life and teaching me a lot, Satyen Kale, Shantanu Joshi and Kaustubh Apte.