Vantage point




Saturday, March 22, 2003

THE DAY OF RECKONING

Today is the day we all have been waiting for. India meet Australia for cricket's biggest prize, the World Cup.

Maybe I am majorly putting my foot in my mouth here and my optimism is taking control of my obkectivity, but I think it will be a one-sided win for India. The victory margin will be either 6 wickets or 75 runs, depending on when we bat.

The key players for India are Virendra Sehwag, Tendulkar (duhhh!!), Mohammad Kaif, Ashish Nehra and Zaheer Khan. For Aussies, it will be Hayden, Ponting, Symonds, Lee and Bichel.

David Sheperd stands in his 3rd World Cup final. Now he has been giving some pretty bad decisions throughout the World Cup, and I think it is time for him to retire. Hope that the dice of his bad decisions, if it rolls, does so in India's favour. We also have the bankable Steve "Why don't you take a nap while I make up my mind about this appeal?" Bucknor standing in his 4th successive World Cup final (really shows you how much West Indian cricket has deteriorated from its heady heights). He is a guy who hardly ever makes a mistake.

Will the Indian cricketers show enough guts, grit and glitter to win this match? We will find out in 10 hours.

And look at this surprising news! Guess the support for our team is crossing traditional animosities. =-)