Vantage point




Sunday, September 08, 2002

I have been meaning to post this for a couple of weeks now. There was an advertising workshop in our insti, and as an exercise, we were told to pair up. Then one guy was supposed to tell the other guy stuff about himself for two minutes, and the other guy was to talk about him in a flattering manner.

The guy who was with me didn't tell me much about himself but strangely talked about his lovelife (or rather the lack of it). Good thing that I wasn't invited to make my 'pitch' because of time constraints. But what he said was great.

"When i was in junior college, I read Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead" and I was inspired by Howard Roark. I wanted to be like him, wanted to live for myself, wanted to take myself to a higher level so that a girl would love me for what I am. I fell in love with a girl, but she told me she liked me as a very good friend, but did not love me. She eventually fell in love with some other guy, I got over it, and we are still friends to date. However I always wondered where I went wrong and why i didn't win her love.

Then in the final year of college I read Dilbert in which I read "You have to pretend to be someone else till the other person loves you for what you are".
Now I wish i had read Dilbert before I read The Fountainhead"

Funny and yet so startlingly accurate.