Vantage point




Monday, July 22, 2002

I have no idea what to put down in today's blog. So I think I'll just ramble. Please bear with me.

"I love deadlines. I love the whoosh sound they make as they rush past"
- Douglas Adams.

Never before have I identified with this comment more, than after I came to IIM Lucknow. I always knew it was going to be a hectic course, as did everyone else. in fact people would talk to me as if I am about to take up arms and stand vigil on the Line of Control in Kashmir.

"Remember, it may seem tough, cause you bodily harm, and make you cringe, but hang in there"

was the gist of all the homilies I received. One month into the course and I can assure everyone that they were right.

Have you ever walked in a huge swimming pool with varying depth? If you haven't then do so immediately. Do as I tell you. Descend into the water at the 2 or 3 feet level. (here I am assuming you are not a pre-teen who actually stands shorter than this. i do not want any lawsuits.) Then slowly wade towards the deeper end of the pool. Very rarely do pools have a gradual slope into the deep end. It is usually a step. So at the threshold wait for a second with water upto your chest/stomach and then step into the 7 foot deep water. Now if you immediately attempt to speak, your exact first words would be "glubbllbdlubplubb", and you will feel water filling your windpipe.

That is the exact experience I had the other day, metaphorically speaking. For a few days, I was in comfort zone with just a few assignments, and suddenly, all the deadlines came crashing into the small of my back.

Yeah, yeah, I know what you are saying. This guy is saying he's got tonnes of deadlines but he finds enough time on his hands to write a blog.

Kya karein? Control hi nahi hota.