Vantage point




Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Kind of Subsidy I Can Make Peace With....

.... is the one that benefits me immensely. One such subsidy-loving moment took place last week when wandering around in the public library, I came across a graphic novels section. And found Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns and The Dark Knight Strikes Again. An ocean of joy engulfed me as I grabbed them and clutched them to my heart as if they were 150-dollar laptops on Black Friday Sale.

As one of the first ever posts on my blog said, I never particularly cared much for Batman. I found the series tacky and quite unconvincing. But Frank Miller breathed new life into the franchise and gave it the depth it lacked. The Dark Knight Returns was phenomenally different for the shades it gave Batman and even Superman. And of course, his take on the start of the Batman story Batman: Year One was the main inspiration behind Christopher Nolan's well-crafted Batman Begins.

This year, Miller is coming out with a new Batman comic. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Bob Kane's spirit should be thankful to Miller.

Labels: , ,