Vantage point




Saturday, January 10, 2004

Some movies are like Dali paintings. They aren't simple, straightforward movies with a definite beginning and an end. They have layers, and the way to enjoy these movies is to unravel these layers and admire the way in which the movie is put together.

Such movies are choc-a-bloc with symbolism, and it is fun decoding exactly what the director seemed to convey through each and every frame. Most Kubrick movies are like this. I remember being utterly fascinated by the symbolism in "A Clockwork Orange". More recently, I also loved Ridley Scott's "Bladerunner", one of the few movies that I was engrossed by, inspite of having read the book('Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Philip. K. Dick) first.

Yesterday I saw one such movie - Mulholland Drive. I have wanted to watch it since I read that its director - David Lynch was voted the best of all time in a poll. While I don't quite agree with the top spot, he is definitely a great director.

I don't want to discuss it in great detail on the blog and spoil it for those who haven't seen it. However I have to talk of this one thing about the movie, people who have seen it, kindly respond. Did you also notice the "Alice in Wonderland" parallels in the movie at different stages, or was it just a result of my having re-read the book last week?

I also saw Tarantino's "Jackie Brown" yesterday, and I must confess, it left me slightly disappointed. It is without doubt his most mediocre work. Great performances by Pam Grier and Samuel L Jackson do manage to make it worth a watch, but the repeat value of his other movies is not there.