Vantage point




Friday, December 06, 2002

I had gone to the city (my friend Pushkar insists we refer to it as 'town') for dinner tonight. On the way I heard two women discussing the lyrics in today's Hindi movies

Woman 1: The lyrics nowadays are complete nonsense
Woman 2: Absolutely. One line has nothing to do with another
W1: In fact one word rarely has anything to do with another
W2: They just want to rhyme that's all

Now until this point I was in complete agreement with the two ladies. However what they said next did not go down too well.

W1: All this has started recently. In our days, the lyrics were so meaningful.
W2: Yes, this generation has spoilt hindi film songs.

Considering that the women in question were about 40-ish, I would imagine that 'their days' would mean the 60s, 70s and the 80s. So off the top of my head, I thought of these songs, but could not muster enough brashness to go and mention these songs to them. So I inflict these lyrics upon you. Pray tell me if these are meaningful lyrics.

Dukki pe dukki ho ya satte pe satta
Gaur se dekha jaaye to buss hai patte pe patta
Koi faraq nahi albatta, koi faraq nahi albatta

M-A-D MAD, Mad maane paagal, B-O-Y BOY boy maane ladka
arre matlab iska tum kaho to kya hua


and who can forget these 'beautifully connected' lines from that monolith of Hindi film industry, Sholay

Koi haseena jab ruth jaati hai to aur bhi haseen ho jaati hai (so far so good)
Station se gaadi jab chhoot jaati hai to ek do teen ho jaati hai
(huhhh?)

In the words of Billy Joel,

We didn't start the fire
It was always burning since the world's been turning