Vantage point




Saturday, February 27, 2010

Paris je t'aime: For Wankerrrrs!

Been wanting to make this post for a while now. Randomly remembered it today. And well, it needs to be said. So here goes.

Listen, I love esoteric, interpretive, experimental, intellectual, allegorical, metaphorical, onomatopoeical, and generally "evolved" movies as much as the next guy. But really, Paris, je t'aime? Totally a movie for wankers. An elaborate multi-starring, multi-directing exercise in wanking that people mostly make ooh-aah sounds about to not be banished from the smart people's corner. Sure, conceptually the movie sounds like a good idea. But have you tried to sit through it? And you have been able to? You enjoyed it? And you actually liked it? Liked it enough to recommend it to others without fear of thee being struck down upon with great vengeance and furious anger? Liked enough to actually look forward to New York, I Love You and watch it too? Seriously? Really? Honestly?

Well, good for you!

I could not sit through the damn thing. I do not have the requisite element of masochism in my psyche to sit through it. And whenever I hear people rave about it, I am reminded of the people appreciating the gourmet cooking and fine wine in this segment of Penn and Teller's Bullshit or even funnier, appreciating premium water in this segment.