Vantage point




Friday, July 10, 2009

Chandrasas, Arzee, Coelho

As many of you might know, my friend Chandrahas recently released his debut novel Arzee the Dwarf. I am looking forward to reading it soon, and I am sure it will do very well.

I read this interview of him on Rediff, and absolutely loved it. The honesty, frankness and thoughtfulness he conveys in the interview is so Chandrahas, I can almost hear him saying those things. The interview, which is already very cool because of the peek it offers into how the book came about, becomes uber-cool when he minces no words in going after one of my pet-peeves. The following that Paulo Coelho has, especially in India.

Any advice for aspiring writers?

Yes, read a lot -- read varied stuff. Don't stick to your comfort zone. Read something that challenges you, makes you think about it. If you understand everything from the beginning, you're a passive consumer, which won't increase your range. Don't stick to Paulo Coelho and Dan Brown. In fact, throw them as far as you can! Paulo Coelho is a rubbish writer -- I know many people like him, but I think it's just comfort food for the mind. It's not going to lead you anywhere. I honestly do NOT believe that if you want something bad enough, the universe will conspire to give it to you. Rubbish!


Total pwnage! The indignant responses by Coelho fans on the message board below the article also make for a hilarious reading, as Rediff message boards always do.

Labels: , , ,