Vantage point




Wednesday, December 14, 2005

"Dravid is an honourable man" or "Beware of the Ides of December"

As you can guess from the title, I am drawing inevitable historic-literary parallels. It would be hard to not think of Ganguly as Caesar and Dravid as Brutus. And it in this parallel that lies a big lesson for Rahul Dravid.

Brutus, addressing the people of Rome for the first time after caesar's murder said,

If there be any in this assembly, any dear friend of Caesar's, to him I say, that Brutus' love to Caesar was no less than his. If then that friend demand why Brutus rose against Caesar, this is my answer: --Not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved Rome more. Had you rather Caesar were living and die all slaves, than that Caesar were dead, to live all free men? As Caesar loved me, I weep for him; as he was fortunate, I rejoice at it; as he was valiant, I honour him: but, as he was ambitious, I slew him. There is tears for his love; joy for his fortune; honour for his valour; and death for his ambition.

Dravid too may well give this defence....
(Read the rest of the entry at Different Strokes, the Cricinfo Blog)