Vantage point




Thursday, January 20, 2005

TDS?

It would be great if they had a funda of TDS in America. Not Tax Deducted at Source, but Tip Deducted at Source.

A lot of Indians visiting USA are not aware about the extravagant tips you are supposed to leave here. As a result a lot of them don't get great service. I was warned about this by some friends. So usually I stock to the 15% thing. But there are some occasions where you are at a loss. For instance the bell boy who carried my luggage to my room.... or the housekeeping staff.... what on earth should one tip them? One dollar.... five dollars? Should I tip those people everyday, or should I just tip them on the last day before I leave?

All this confusion would be cleared if all Hotels and Restaurants just billed us for the tip as well.