Vantage point




Monday, November 13, 2006

Orchid Thief




K: I don’t want to die, Donald. I’ve wasted my life. God, I’ve wasted it.

D: You did not. And you‘re not gonna die.

K: I wasted it. I admire you, Donald, y’ know? I spend my whole life paralyzed worrying what people think of me and you - you‘re just oblivious.

D: I’m not oblivious.

K: No, you don’t understand. I say that as a compliment, I really do. There was this time in high school. I was watching you out the library window. You were talking to Sarah Marsh.

D: Oh, God. I was so in love with her.

K: I know. And you were flirting with her. And she was really sweet to you.

D: I remember that.

K: Then when you walked away, she started making fun of you with Kim Canetti. It was like they were laughing at me. You didn’t know at all. You seemed so happy.

D: I knew. I heard them.

K: How come you looked so happy?

D: I loved Sarah, Charles. It was mine, that love. I owned it. Even Sarah didn’t have the right to take it away. I can love whoever I want.

K: She thought you were pathetic.

D: That was her business, not mine. You are what you love, not what loves you. That’s what I decided a long time ago.