Vantage point




Thursday, November 09, 2006

Akira

I don't know if the process of making the film screwed up in capturing all elements of the manga. Or if something massive got lost in translation from Japanese to English. But Akira was one heck of a boring movie. Until halfway through it, it was engrossing. But later it just became boring and pretentious. I am usually a big fan of movies which leave the ending open to interpretation. But in this film the mythology itself was so half-baked and badly told, that it is like leaving the entire story open to interpretation.

This is only the third anime film I've seen. The previous two, i.e Spirited Away and Grave of the Fireflies were outstanding. Maybe it was in comparison to those classics that I found Akira disappointing.

Whatever the reason, it was a boring movie, and not one I would recommend to anyone.