Vantage point




Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Help!

Many many years ago, I read a wonderful marathi short story. I am almost 100% positive it was by P.L. "PuLa" Deshpande. In that story, a writer writes a play which is quite serious, and possibly has some social commentary aspects to it. However, when the director and actors start performing the play, it seems like a comedy. So much so that when the play finally opens, the spectators are almost rolling in the aisles with laughter, and everyone is congratulating the playwright for writing something so hilarious. He of course is pissed off, because that is not at all what he had written.

I have been trying to remember the name of the story and the book it appeared in. Those of you more well read than me in marathi literature and/or PuLa books, please help me.

Update: Thanks for the help, folks. It is from Batatyachi Chawl. When I was trying to remember, I did think of the book. But the story did not fit with the chawl meme, so I thought I was mistaken.