Vantage point




Sunday, September 03, 2006

Gandhi a Libertarian

Mahatma Gandhi was a libertarian of sorts, I have always believed. And Sarika too thinks the same. She recently more about the whole thing and made one superb post.

For all I know, Gandhi could've been an industrialist (a Francisco D'Anconia" if you may) instead of a freedom fighter and I think that the core of what he said would've still remained the same. The Individual. His individuality bade him to work for others. Which he did. He did not expect everyone's individuality to bid them to do something similar either, so he didn't force himself upon others. That would've made him a politician. And there's NO ONE more disrespectful for the individual than a politician who asks the individual to place more trust in him than the individual does in himself. My constant grudge with democracy, if I might put it that way.


Read the whole thing.