Vantage point




Thursday, April 13, 2006

Argument Clinic

If you still haven't discovered the sheer joy that are Monty Python Sketches, you are leading a very impoverished life. DVDs of their sketch-based-movies are available in most DVD parlors and British Council Libraries. One sketch that cracks me up the most is the 'Dead Parrot' sketch. Especially the line "The plumage don't enter into it. It's stone dead", delievered by John Cleese.

Oh, but let me not get started on the Dead Parrot sketch, or I'll go on and on, cracking up over every line, much like I do when I get into an Andaz Apna Apna mode.

One sketch that I have been repeatedly reminded of in the last few days is the tongue-in-cheek "Argument Clinic". Do try to get hold of it from somewhere and watch it. Or read the transcript I linked to.

An excerpt -

Man: Look this isn't an argument.

Mr Vibrating: Yes it is.

Man: No it isn't, it's just contradiction.

Mr Vibrating: No it isn't.

Man: Yes it is.

Mr Vibrating: It is not.

Man: It is. You just contradicted me.

Mr Vibrating: No I didn't.

Man: Ooh, you did!

Mr Vibrating: No, no, no, no, no.

Man: You did, just then.

Mr Vibrating: No, nonsense!

Man: Oh, look this is futile.

Mr Vibrating: No it isn't.

Man: I came here for a good argument.

Mr Vibrating: No you didn't, you came here for an argument.

Man: Well, an argument's not the same as contradiction.

Mr Vibrating: It can be.

Man: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a definite proposition.

Mr Vibrating: No it isn't.

Man: Yes it is. It isn't just contradiction.

Mr Vibrating: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.

Man: But it isn't just saying "No it isn't".

Mr Vibrating: Yes it is.

Man: No it isn't, an argument is an intellectual process... contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.

Mr Vibrating: No it isn't.

Man: Yes it is.

Mr Vibrating: Not at all.

Man: Now look!

Mr Vibrating:(pressing the bell on his desk) Thank you, good morning.


LOL!