Vantage point




Sunday, January 29, 2006

Inside Viru's Mind

The all-new Cricinfo Magazine hit the stands this month, and the most exceptional article in the inaugural issue according to me is Anatomy of a classic. It is an interview with Virender Sehwag that takes him through his 155 against Australia at Chennai. It is fascinating to peek inside Viru's mind. A few select quotes -

In my batting the pad has no role.

If you leave him(Mcgrath) alone, and let him attack your stumps in order to make you play, then it's easier to play him. If you chase him, go after him, he'll have you in trouble.

When I respond to a bowler's verbals, I become determined not to lose my wicket to him.

(M)any batsmen look to play Warne defensively, or leave a lot of his deliveries, and that's when they get into trouble.

I said(to Lehmann), "You're bowling too slow, so you'll hardly get a caught-and-bowled."

My game is an attacking game and I know what kind of shots to play and when to play them. Whether wickets are falling or not, a loose ball is a loose ball.

Q-From your body language as you left the field it seemed that that you were trying to tell the Australians...
(Interrupting) ...ki hum log kal jeetne waale hain. (That we're going to win tomorrow.)


How can one not admire the guy?

Great stuff, Chandrahas.