Vantage point




Saturday, March 26, 2005

K for Kaal!

Last week I saw the trailer of Kaal. It was a very slick clip featuring Ajay Devgan, Vivek Oberoi and John Abraham, and the movie obviously had something to do with tigers. Ahh, another experiment from The Factory, I though to myself. I wondered which one of Ramgopal Varma's acolytes had directed this one.

A few days back I got the shock of my life when I came to know that it was a Dharma Productions film!! Dharma Productions??? Karan Johar? The guy who makes the usual Yuppunjabified candy floss? He's making a truly "different" film?

First there was Dhoom from Yashraj, which was completely devoid of weddings, funerals, mothers, Sharukh Khans and the word "haDippaaaaa". And now you have a film from the Johar stable, which inspite of starting with the letter 'K', seems to be devoid of weddings, funerals, mothers, Shahrukh Khans, religious/patriotic songs (in fact it is song-less) and the words "peri pauNa".

A song-less movie produced by Karan Johar? Great!

To appreciate just the effort, I promise that I will spend money and watch this movie in a cinema hall. The first Dharma movie that i will watch on the big screen before I watch it in a Volvo bus.

P.S - I later learnt that the director of Kaal is Soham Shah, an ex-acolyte of Varma, and the music is by Salim-Sulaiman, also Varma regulars. So the Factory-ish feel of the movie is neither a coincidence, nor an "inspiration".