Vantage point




Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Faulty Heroes

I have always admired faulty heroes. I guess the adage "Nobody is perfect" has been hard-wired into my brain, and so I find it difficult to swallow that anyone could be a perfect hero. As a result most of the fictional or non-fictional characters that I admire are always faulty heroes.

Superman, the perfect superhero, bores me. I prefer Spiderman, who despite all his heroics, still can't manage his personal expenses properly.

Maryada Purshottam Ram does not inspire any admiration in me. I prefer the wily Krishna, who indulged in more gamesmanship than an Aussie cricketer. I also admire Karna, even though he fought for the "enemy".

In Sholay, I can't stand the goody-goody Jay. Gimme the rogue-ish Veeru anyday. I would pick Bertram Wooster over Reginald Jeeves any day.

Perfect heroes just seem too unreal.